BAO have recently introduced a booking system for their Fitzrovia restaurant - finally! So that was a great start, it's always reassuring rocking up knowing that you have a table.
It isn't huge inside which makes a really great atmosphere and is made up people eating at the bar upstairs...
... and a few downstairs tables right in front of the kitchen where I was sat (with the best view of the kitchen!)
That steamer is full of buns - it's where the magic happens!!
Up next... the food!!!
As hard as I tried I didn't quite make it through the whole menu... will just have to go back for a second round I guess!
The staff were great in explaining how it all worked - which was ideal as I was totally clueless on how to tackle this menu.
We started with 3 Xiao Chi (or starters to the rest of us) which were all divine. All the food comes as it's ready so lands in front of you at different times.
First up - Beef Cheek & Tendon Nuggets
I have to say the name made me a little dubious to try this one but for no reason - they are fab!
XO Sweetcorn, Spiced Beef Butter
You need to miss this one up to melt all the flavour into the corn - I swear I have never enjoyed sweetcorn more (it's still healthy... right?!)
Cep Broth, Duck Breast
I had to fight my boyfriend for the third slice... he won.
Now to talk about the main event -The Bao buns! (2 each)
The Classic (aka The Star Of The Show)
To avoid chronic food envy we ordered a Classic Bao each and it is amazing. I haven't mastered the art of eating this gracefully yet so maybe not a first date kind of food. This was braised pork covered in peanuts and coriander - I could have just kept eating these!
For the second round of buns we ordered one Beef and one Confit (Pork Belly)
The Confit was very spicy, as a chilli wimp I struggled a little bit so next time I would probably ask for this on the side. If you are more hardcore than me then you'd love it!
I had a nibble of the beef one, my boyfriend was a little reluctant to share food, which I think demonstrates how good he though it was.
To add something veggie into the mix we ordered the Mapo Aubergine, Pickled Cucumber rice bowl just to squeeze something else in.
Just when I was convinced nothing more could be eaten... in walks the SAKE!!
At that point I had to tap out and roll home - very full and very happy! If any of you make it to pudding then please let me know how it is, I may even make it that far next time!
No comments
Post a Comment